What did I do? How can I fix it?
I'm a 44 year old female, former stay at home mom (took care of disabled son for 18 years), have been working as an LPN concentrating in geriatrics for the past 5 years.
I was at my last job about a month ago moving furniture and twisted my knee. No immediate pain but, boy...it crept up later. Now I am in near constant pain (inside of my left knee) that gets worse if I squat down, go up stairs, put weight on it when I bend it. At times there is a 'catch', other times a 'grind'. My knees have both 'popped' when I squat for years...like 30+ years.
Everything I have read points to meniscus tear, but had another MD forum doc tell me she thought it's Chondromalacia Patella.
Anyone have any experience with either? I don't have insurance or money for doc/mri/etc right now, so I am trying to get as much info on possible diagnosis and protecting my knee until late Dec/early Jan.

Thanks!
Hello!

The best diagnosis of any possible ligament tear is possible by a physical examination by an orthopedician and following it up with an MRI scan.

It is very difficult to diagnose without any scans.

Apply ice packs, take intermittent pain killers and do not squat or do intense physical activity.

Wear a knee brace till you can afford to take it ahead for diagnosis and treatment.

Take care!
Thank you for your input!
I know I need an MRI to really know what is going on...I'm trying to operate on a "best guess" theory until I can get one, to make sure I cannot 'cause' more damage. Definitely wearing a brace while working...I rarely have one on at home and am noticing a lot more pain/discomfort without it.
I am also trying to prepare for whatever may occur. Have a strong feeling this will need surgery, just trying to figure out how many jobs I will need (and how long I will need to save) to be able to sustain my home while recuperating. I know recovery will depend on what needs fixing, in addition to the 'norm'.