Orthopedics Community
What does desiccation mean of the L4-5?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

What does desiccation mean of the L4-5?

Recently I had an MRI of my lower back because I have been having a lot of pain mostly on my left side.  The MRI report states that there is desiccation of the L4-5, and L4-S1... It also noted two lateral disc protrusions of both areas as well on the right.  So my questions are what is desiccation, and can I do anything to help it myself for it, and the other question is why would my left side be so painful and not much pain on my right side at all but yet the disc are protruding to the right.  Thanks
i know the word means dried out or dehydrated  IM NOT A DOCTOR so just know that.

I have similiar injuries and was told the spinal fluid was very lacking in some areas of my spine.

wish you the best
-shell
I picked up my MRI report today and one of the comments on my report is the same, but mine is L5-S1
Hi Star,
How are you feeling?
Desiccation of disc suggests that its pathology would be loss of disc water. This is a terminology used to describe decrease intensity on MRI.
The disk also loses its water-binding capacity and the water content decreases down to 70%. These changes are reflected by a 6% decrease in MR signal intensity.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.