Orthopedics Community
What does it mean?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What does it mean?

I was in a MVA on 12/18/2008. A MRI taken on 01/30/2008 revealed: very mild diffuse disc bulging seen at C4-5, C5-6 and C 6-7 which does not significantly narrow the spinal canal or neural foramina. The MRI also revealed central disc protrusion at L5-S1. As of today 07/26/2008 I am still having pain in the back of my neck, shoulders, pain radiating down my left arm into my hand along with tingling and numbness several times a day, lower back pain, pain in hips with it radiating down my left side into my foot along with tingling and numbness. If I sit for just a few moments (not even five minutes), my left leg/foot "falls asleep". I am getting Epidural injections, which seem to work less and less each time. Can you tell me what all of this amounts to?
Related Discussions
Hello Dear,
The spinal disc is a soft cushion that sits between each vertabrae of the spine. This spinal disc becomes more rigid with age. In a young individual, the disc is soft and elastic, but like so many other structures in the body, the disc gradually looses its elasticity and is more vulnerable to injury.
As the spinal disc becomes less elastic, it can rupture. When the disc ruptures, a portion of the spinal disc pushes outside its normal boundary--this is called a herniated disc or disc protrusion. When a herniated disc bulges out from between the vertebrae, the spinal nerves and spinal cord can become pinched. There is normally a little extra space around the spinal cord and spinal nerves, but if enough of the herniated disc is pushed out of place, then these structures may be compressed.
In your case there is bulging seen at C4-5, C5-6 and C 6-7 which does not significantly narrow the spinal canal or neural foramina and  central disc protrusion at L5-S1 causing the radicular pain,numbness,tingling.The treatment included use of NSAID,epiduals,drugs like neurontoin,methylcobalamin, carbamezapine, which help soothing the nerves and may relieve some pain.Vitamin B supplementation which prevents demyleination of nerves .
You should consult a pain clinic and do physiotherapy .
Refer http://www.spine-surgery.com/327_359.htm#FAQ5  for more info.
Best
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank