Orthopedics Community
What is a nondisplaced (re)tear of the meniscus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have recently had an MRI of my knee. 4 years ago, I tore the meniscus. 3 years ago, I had a meniscus repair surgery. 2 years ago, after the repair was unsuccessful, I had a menisectomy. After six months of slow recovery, I've been able to run and play tennis, though not at the intensity nor as a daily routine like was the case prior to the injury.

A month ago, after a few successive days of activity, I felt swelling and pain. After a few weeks of this, I got the MRI. Results show, "Partial medial meniscectomy; signal changes along the undersurface of the posteromedial meniscus suggestive of a nondisplaced re-tear."

My doctor has been incredibly busy, so I have not had an explenation of what this means. Any help?

Thanks!
- David K
I believe the first part would be describing the surgery you had; the second part I, personally, would break down to mean there are trademark signs that the same spot of the original tear is retearing... it's hard to tell, though, because you did have a full menisectomy, and, clearly, I'm not a doctor.

I would take it easy until you hear from your doctor, and sometimes you can call the MRI department and ask what the report means -- it depends on their policies.
How are you feeling?
Have you spoken to your doctor still?
I feel the MRI report says that your knee anatomy appears to be after medial meniscectomy with meniscus tearing again at the same place without the tissue being displaced.
I believe Arthroscopy is the gold standard for diagnosis.
Degeneration from repeated micro trauma occurs, with gradual loss of collagen and integrity that leads to tears.
Keep me informed.
When is your appointment with your surgeon?
Have you checked it out with radiologist what they have to say about this?
Bye.
Thank you JainMD and treebranches for your responses.

I am feeling okay. Knee hurts less lately. Dull, low pain almost all the time. But, more severe, annoying pain and swelling only seems to occur after much standing around or walking. I am absolutely, taking it easy. Rode the exercise bike as my first exercise in a month the other day. Definitely no pounding.

Still haven't talked to my doctor. I asked him if he'd be around to call me & explain the results before the holiday (got the MRI the Tuesday before Christmas) and after repeated calls, I was only able to get his assistant to email me the MRI results. It hadn't occurred to me to call the radiologist - thought he does work for the same company that my doctor works for. Hopefully that doesn't violate a rule but certainly worth a shot..

Don't have an appnt with my surgeon yet. After two surgeries, I was hoping not to have to operate again. Do you think this is necessary?
Hi Dear,
I don’t feel it is absolutely necessary as of now. But yes, if the symptoms are annoying you, then it is worth checking with radiologist.
I think you should be going on easy with your physiotherapy exercise.
Consistency with gradual stepping up in exercise is what should be mainstay of your physiotherapy.
Physiotherapy should aim at increasing the Range of Motion around the Knee joint.
Hope this helps.
Bye.