What to do about a herniated pectoral muscle?
I was recently diagnosed with a herniated pectoral muscle(s) in my left chest.  I went to see a doctor for the 5 cm vertical lump I saw on my left chest for fear it was a tumor.  I had a chest x-ray and an MRI taken and the doctor said it was a herniated pectoral muscle.  I had not experienced much, if any, pain from the injury.  I could not even recall when this occurred as I never really had pain from it.  I only noticed the lump when I shaved my chest after I thought I felt something weird when I flexed my pec.  

The lump isn't visible when my chest is not flexed.  However, I am looking into fitness modeling and natural bodybuilding and this lump is an eyesore.  I am also noticing there is a little more pain after working out my chest recently in the area where the lump is.  

My question is what can I do to help relieve this herniated muscle?  Should I take off time from working out my chest?  Should I stretch it?  Should I ice it and put heat on it?  Is my only real chance getting surgery?  I'd like to avoid surgery because it will leave a noticeable scar on my chest.