Orthopedics Community
What to do about a herniated pectoral muscle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I was recently diagnosed with a herniated pectoral muscle(s) in my left chest.  I went to see a doctor for the 5 cm vertical lump I saw on my left chest for fear it was a tumor.  I had a chest x-ray and an MRI taken and the doctor said it was a herniated pectoral muscle.  I had not experienced much, if any, pain from the injury.  I could not even recall when this occurred as I never really had pain from it.  I only noticed the lump when I shaved my chest after I thought I felt something weird when I flexed my pec.  

The lump isn't visible when my chest is not flexed.  However, I am looking into fitness modeling and natural bodybuilding and this lump is an eyesore.  I am also noticing there is a little more pain after working out my chest recently in the area where the lump is.  

My question is what can I do to help relieve this herniated muscle?  Should I take off time from working out my chest?  Should I stretch it?  Should I ice it and put heat on it?  Is my only real chance getting surgery?  I'd like to avoid surgery because it will leave a noticeable scar on my chest.