Orthopedics Community
Who should I see for wrist pain?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Who should I see for wrist pain?

I'm a graphic designer, recently graduated from college and just started my first job. Toward the end of college I occasionally got pain in my right wrist from computer-mouse use; ergonomics seemed to help, however my wrist got weaker over the summer. When I started my first full-time job in Sept, the pain became unbearable. My wrist is weak, I cannot do my hair, stir food on the stove, or put any pressure on that hand (no yoga, no push-ups). I now experience pain along the side of my hand and my arm. I am suspecting tendonitis due to my symptoms: it's just pain, no tingling or numbness and nothing in the fingers. I only use the mouse with this hand.

I won't have health insurance until November, but am worried about leaving the problem untreated/undiagnosed any longer. I am on the computer for work 9 hours a day, so rest is not an option. I have been using my left hand for two weeks, yet my right wrist is not any better. Since I don't have health insurance yet, I'd like to keep my costs low and go straight to the correct doctor, rather than seeing a general practitioner and getting a referral. What kind of doctor should I try to see, and what can I do for my wrist in the meantime?

My self-treatment thus far has not helped but has included: ergonomic adjustments (sitting position, better chair, correct posture), cold-packs, Aleve, gentle stretches, use of my left hand whenever possible, gentle massage of the area with ice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.