Orthopedics Community
Who should I see for wrist pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Who should I see for wrist pain?

I'm a graphic designer, recently graduated from college and just started my first job. Toward the end of college I occasionally got pain in my right wrist from computer-mouse use; ergonomics seemed to help, however my wrist got weaker over the summer. When I started my first full-time job in Sept, the pain became unbearable. My wrist is weak, I cannot do my hair, stir food on the stove, or put any pressure on that hand (no yoga, no push-ups). I now experience pain along the side of my hand and my arm. I am suspecting tendonitis due to my symptoms: it's just pain, no tingling or numbness and nothing in the fingers. I only use the mouse with this hand.

I won't have health insurance until November, but am worried about leaving the problem untreated/undiagnosed any longer. I am on the computer for work 9 hours a day, so rest is not an option. I have been using my left hand for two weeks, yet my right wrist is not any better. Since I don't have health insurance yet, I'd like to keep my costs low and go straight to the correct doctor, rather than seeing a general practitioner and getting a referral. What kind of doctor should I try to see, and what can I do for my wrist in the meantime?

My self-treatment thus far has not helped but has included: ergonomic adjustments (sitting position, better chair, correct posture), cold-packs, Aleve, gentle stretches, use of my left hand whenever possible, gentle massage of the area with ice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Is your pain on the thumb side of your wrist?  If so, it sounds like Dequervain's Tendonitis.  I had the same thing.  I would recommend a orthopedic dr.
The pain is along both sides of my hand sometimes, but always in my wrist.
I would recommend an orthopedic hand & wrist surgeon, There are many different things that can cause the type of pain you are discribing. It would be wise for you to get an MRI to be able to count out Keinbocks wrist disease, I unfortunately found that, that is my problem, It's hard to detected but definately something you should make sure you get early treatment for. It certainly does not mean that,that is what you have, it only means that it is worth ruling out. As soon as you get your insurance I would advise a Dr. visit. Hope all is well.
Try this brace out, it may help and is an affordable price.  Many CAD CAM engineers have similar symptoms and this seems to help.

http://www.imakproducts.com/product.php?s=11

Good luck