Orthopedics Community
Why Thumb Pops Out of Joint

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Why Thumb Pops Out of Joint

Recently my right thumb has started popping out of joint and won't bend all the way straight. I had carpal tunnel surgery on this hand in April of this year (5 months ago) and this hand has been bothering me ever since. But this last problem is really painful and scary at times. Yesterday I almost couldn't get the thumb to go back into joint, but it finally did after a few minutes. What could be causing this? Also since surgery, there are larger bumbs(knots) under my skin (palm area). My wrist has remained sore and achy every since surgery. My surgeon has seen me only one time since surgery and that was to take off the bandages. He said it would take 4 months to a year to return back to normal, but didn't want to see me again. I just don't know what to do. I am afraid something went wrong during surgery and the doctor didn't tell me. I had broken my wrist when I was young and an ex-ray (before surgery) showed that it did not grow back correctly. But mainly, I want my thumb to quit popping out of joint. I am a graphic artist and after several hours on the computer using the mouse, it starts this problem. Can anyone help?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You need proper follow up after surgery.
Go for an X-ray of the present date and discuss in detail with your operating surgeon.
You can take a second opinion.

Take care!
Your story could be mine. Did you ever find any help?
Same with me. and boy it hurts. can't even open a bottle of water...