Why can't I make a fist?
I had surgery to repair a complete tear in my rotator cuff in Sept. 09.  A bone spur and arthirtis were also taken care of. I had a nerve block in my neck, as well as being knocked out.  Since the surgery I have been unable to make a fist with my right hand. (surgery was on right shoulder) At first my whole hand was swollen, wrist hurt when I moved it, fingers did not want to move.  Things have improved with therapy, but I still cannot make a fist or grasp things tightly. When my fingers are forced to bend into trying to make a fist it hurts allot.  The shoulder surgeon says he has no idea why my hand is like this, "he didn't do surgery on my hand". After 4 months he sent me to a surgeon who specializes with hands.  He says I have hand shoulder syndrome and has sent me to someone who specializes with hand therapy. So far no improvement. Any idea why this is happening and what caused it?  Will I ever have my right hand back?  This is affecting my job as to where I am just doing whatever I can do, and not what my job requires. I don't know how long they will be patient with me. help!
Hello!

I would suggest you to continue physiotherapy and also to check with your anesthetist for any complications in your peripheral nerves after the surgery.

Follow up with a neurologist and check all the flexors at your wrist joint of you right hand. Palmar flexion can be possible by flexor digitorium superficialis and profundus muscle, flexor carpi ulnaris and radialis and flexor pollicis longus muscles.

Take care!