Orthopedics Community
Why does my back suddenly lock up anywhere from 5 to 15 times a day?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I'm 28 been having chronic lower back pain (amongst other aches and pains) since i was 19 and just recently in the last 2.5 years my lower back will just suddenly lock up and i cannot move to save my own life if i had to.....it started out happening once in while maybe like once every six months or so ... but now in the last 6 months it's become a DAILY thing for me it has practically gotten me scared to move for fear of feeling that pain..and god forbid i'm home alone and it happens suppose i fall and hurt myself worse.....but anyway i was wondering if anyone else in my age range or even younger has had this happen to them and if they know what it might be ( considering my doctors think that i'm overreacting to what they call " a little bit of swelling" if it is only a little bit then why can't i move around half the time?) this pain has caused great stress to myself and my family ...it hurts me that i cannot even go outside and do something as simple a playing catch with my sons or taking them for a walk without the immediate pain and possibility of locking up occuring in my back .....any thoughts ???? will be very appreciated
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your backache. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments etc inflammations, fractures/ dislocations, referred pain from other regions, micronutrient deficiencies etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!