Orthopedics Community
Worried I messed up labrum anchor. Please read

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hi there, I was hoping someone can put my mind at ease, but if that's not the case please tell me the facts.

Here's some quick background. I had surgery on my labrum in my shoulder to repair a large bankart tear (anterior + reverse) and a minor slap tear (biceps tendon is fine). I also underwent capsular plication.

I wore a sling for 6 weeks, and I'm 2 weeks away from being 3 months post-op. Everything seems to be going well. However, I must say that I'm a paranoid person, and I'm not sure if it's possible I may have done some damage to the healing process.

I started physical therapy 2 weeks after the surgery and made a lot of progress the next 2 weeks. Soon thereafter, I went out of town and saw a physical therapist for a few sessions while I was on a trip. My surgeon's nurse faxed the therapist the protocol and gave her information on my surgeon's website on what to follow for my 2 sessions.

Well, after the therapist did some passive range of motion of motion stretches, she hands me a ten pound dumbell to curl it. Immediately I pitifully attempted and said "yep, I can't do this." She then hands me a 5 pound dumbell in which I'm able to curl for some reps, but it was definitely uncomfortable (but I won't say it "hurt" that much - it just didn't feel very good). If you've had a similar operation as I've had, you'd know the "pulling sensation" at the front of the shoulder the first few weeks post-op.

Now, I didn't even think about it at the time, but in retrospect, this was probably really damn stupid for her to have me do this exercise. Turns out she got her DPT license a year ago, a bit inexperienced. Everything I've read online about lifting seems to be a no-no, especially 1 month after the operation!

I ran this by my physical therapist in my hometown and he basically told me that I have nothing to worry about, that I wouldn't have done damage to my labrum by curling the 5 pound dumbell. But it's in my nature to be paranoid, especially after I've been through so much with this injury and being out of the weightroom for so long.

Would it take a lot more force to yank/pull/damage a suture anchor from the labrum? Am I getting myself too worked up?

I have a follow up appointment next week with my surgeon (12 weeks post-op I believe) and I could also run it by him.

Thank you