Would Like Insight of Ongoing Wrist Injury (Enchondroma/Boney Island)
Hello, I am posting this question because I have been struggling with the Army Medical System, for almost 5 months with absolutely zero results, and desperately seeking some insight. In December I ended up injuring my wrist, I was in a very intense training course, where I was constantly doing Burpees, Pushups, Bear Crawls, Crap Walks, and Lifting heavy things above my head. I started having severe pains, in my left wrist, that shot down my thumb down my forearm. A Army Provider diagnosed me with Dequervains Syndrome. After no improvement after 3 weeks they ordered X-rays and said there may have been a Distal Radius Fracture, but they never confirmed it with me when I asked. After this I was MRI'd then another Army Doctor said she saw a Ganglion Cyst, after they have had the results. During this time I actually PCS to another duty station in Louisiana. After getting here, I had them re-examine my MRI/X-ray they said what they were seeing was a Boney Island, in my distal radius. So I started therapy, and have been in it for almost a month with zero improvement. My therapist didn't even really know what he was treating me for, and when he was messing with my hand, realized that I had a significant Ulnar Wrist Deviation. Which is severely limiting my ROM with my hand and still causing major pain.

I know this is information is very limited, considering how complex I am making it. But with the information provided is there any insight as to what is actually occurring? Does it sound like a Boney Island would cause a wrist deviation? Also what would be the recommended ways of fixing it if there are any.

PS....As a side note, my therapist is going to refer me to a Ortho after my treatments. But I am hoping to see a civilian doctor if I can get approved through Tricare.

Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possible causes of wrist pain include fractures, dislocations, growths/ masses, infection, inflammation, degeneration, bursitis, tendonitis, soft tissue injury,  neuro-muscular causes, avascular necrosis etc. A bone island is unlikely to be responsible for ulnar deviation and mess likely to be responsible for the described symptoms. I would suggest getting this evaluated in detail by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!