Orthopedics Community
Wrist/Forearm pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Wrist/Forearm pain

I have been having some pain in specific parts of my wrist for probably a month and a half or so in varying degrees.  It started with a pain in my forearm, similar to that as if I pulled a muscle.  And after about a week my wrist area started to bother me as well, but the forearm pain basically went away soon after, at least for awhile.  Also I have had some pain in my fingers, but mainly just my index finger in the middle part of the finger (joint I guess).  I went to the doctors acouple weeks ago and was told it is likely carpal tunnel or arthritis but they didn't really do any real tests, all I recall is some kind of strength test of my grip.  They told me to wear braces on my arms at night and take ibuprofen for two weeks but nothing changed really outside getting better for afew days, only to revert again.  Even before the braces it has improved only revert, but overall at this point it is still better than when the initial symptoms started.  

I have worked as a cashier in a grocery store for years and frequently use the computer at home (leaning to towards computer related at this point).  Now I am only 24 years old, and a male so I find it very hard to believe that at my age that either of these could be the problem even given my computer use and current job.

I've done a fair bit of research since I went to the doctors and I don't have many of the symptoms of carpal tunnel such as I've never had any tingling or numbness in my hands or fingers, my thumb has never hurt, no problem picking up small objects, no problem with grip strength, and pain isn't any worse at night.  It is not the entire wrist either, but mainly specific parts.  The easiest way to describe the areas of pain are on the top my right wrist to the right side at/around the general area of that joint/bulge in the wrist, and at the left side of my right arm abit down or right around where the hand meets the the wrist (more or less the same on the left arm but less pain, am right handed).   I've had some pain in the underside of wrist as well but that's very rare and only for afew minutes at a time.  It is abit more complex overall but that's the most basic way I can describe things, so basically my question after that long winded explanation is could this be carpal tunnel/arthritis, or is it more likely something else such as a RSI type thing or another thing completely.
So just to add the day after I posted this my right hand started tingling.  The timing just seems too coincidental given I had recently been reading a great deal into carpal tunnel and thought almost for sure that given there was no tingling it couldn't be carpal.  Anyhow its just the right hand for now and the pinky finger seems to be included as well (I think) so I'm very confused.