Wrist Fracture - Pain
i had my wrist fractured in three places just below the wrist with the ulna and radius bones broken in end nov 2011, and had to undergo surgery with 3 pins inserted to align the bones. I had a full cast upto shoulder for one month followed by a short cast to elbow for a second month. My cast was removed about 3 weeks ago. its now 4 months since the surgery.

After removing the cast there was a lot of stiffness during rotation of the wrist (both pronation and supination). after about a week pronation was about 95% with no pain however suppination although improved still remains stiff and tight with pain when i do rotation. There is a alot of pain espeacially in the mornings when im up from bed in the outer Ulna bone area.

I do wrist exercises as often as i can despite the pain in rotation. My questions are as follows:

- is this pain normal ? and how long will it take for full normal rotation.
- Should i be doing exercises often and with pain
- I'm alot into fitness and  used to visit the gym almost 4-5 days a week, i have not been able to workout in these last 3 months and this is more depressing. Is it okay to do other exercises that does not involve any wrist movement or carrying, like lower body, cardio etc. or should i wait until wrist is fully recovered with no pain before going to the gym ?

i would appreciate your kind response.

Sorry - the pain is in the pronation rotation (palms facing up)
Hi there!

-Yes, slight amount of discomfort/ pain is common on account of muscle stiffness occurring due to a long period of immobility.
-I would suggest an evaluation by your orthopedician and physiotherapist to help chalk out a routine for doing the exercises.
-Yes, it should be perfectly fine to do exercises that do not involve the injured wrist.
Hope this helps.

Take care!