Orthopedics Community
Wrist Fracture - Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Wrist Fracture - Pain

i had my wrist fractured in three places just below the wrist with the ulna and radius bones broken in end nov 2011, and had to undergo surgery with 3 pins inserted to align the bones. I had a full cast upto shoulder for one month followed by a short cast to elbow for a second month. My cast was removed about 3 weeks ago. its now 4 months since the surgery.

After removing the cast there was a lot of stiffness during rotation of the wrist (both pronation and supination). after about a week pronation was about 95% with no pain however suppination although improved still remains stiff and tight with pain when i do rotation. There is a alot of pain espeacially in the mornings when im up from bed in the outer Ulna bone area.

I do wrist exercises as often as i can despite the pain in rotation. My questions are as follows:

- is this pain normal ? and how long will it take for full normal rotation.
- Should i be doing exercises often and with pain
- I'm alot into fitness and  used to visit the gym almost 4-5 days a week, i have not been able to workout in these last 3 months and this is more depressing. Is it okay to do other exercises that does not involve any wrist movement or carrying, like lower body, cardio etc. or should i wait until wrist is fully recovered with no pain before going to the gym ?

i would appreciate your kind response.

Sorry - the pain is in the pronation rotation (palms facing up)
Hi there!

-Yes, slight amount of discomfort/ pain is common on account of muscle stiffness occurring due to a long period of immobility.
-I would suggest an evaluation by your orthopedician and physiotherapist to help chalk out a routine for doing the exercises.
-Yes, it should be perfectly fine to do exercises that do not involve the injured wrist.
Hope this helps.

Take care!