Orthopedics Community
Wrist Fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Wrist Fusion

I am facing two wrist partial fusions in the next year or so.  How long before you have some use of the wrist?  I have only had wrist erosions for 3 years, before that I was considered a gifted guitar player,but no more, yet I am learning to play piano and still write music for fun.  I also like to play at golf and wonder if anyone out there plays golf with a fused or partially fused wrist?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Post operative you will wear Volar Splint for 2 weeks; after surgery, you will wear an elbow-length cast for about six weeks. Union is usually achieved by 3 months; plate is not removed unless it causes symptoms; stitches will be removed after 10 to 14 days, although most of them will have been absorbed by your body.
You should keep your hand and wrist elevated above the level of your heart for several days to avoid swelling and throbbing. Keep it propped up on a stack of pillows when sleeping or sitting up.
Complications are extensor tenosynovitis which is the most common complication and is related to prominent plate and screws;

The joints in the fingers may feel stiff or sore from the immobility caused by the cast. Strengthening exercises give you added stability around the wrist joint. Your therapist's goal is to help you keep your pain under control, improve strength, and to regain fine motor abilities with your wrist and hand.
A wrist fusion is a trade-off. You will lose some motion, but you will regain a strong and pain-free wrist. Regaining strength is especially important to younger people who need to work with their hands. These patients need strength more than flexibility. Wrist fusion gives them a strong wrist that is good for gripping. Patients who need more movement than strength should consider another type of operation, such as an artificial wrist joint replacement.
Discuss all pros and cons before you go for the surgery. Wrist fusion will let you do day to day activities, playing piano but playing of golf and other physical activities should be restricted.
Take care!
For someone like me, 54 years old, with an old injury resulting in SNAC wrist, who wants to maintain an active life of surfing, etc after surgery, what is the best solution:

four corner fusion or proximal row carpectomy?  Or should I just go straight to a full fusion?
I am a 58 year old man, very active in very good shape.  Retired from a police department.  Due to an injury I am set to have complete wrist fusion.  I weight lift, run, horseback ride, garden, landscape and a million other to do's.  Is this the correct surgery for me???

Michael
I was wondering if you ever got an answer to that, or what did you decide to do?  I'm in exactly the same boat, but now it's 2012.   I'm 53, old injury resulting in SNAC, also want to maintain active life of surfing, etc, and have the same choices to make.

Any input would be so welcome, thanks!