Orthopedics Community
Wrist Replacement vs Fusion vs Proximal Row Carpectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I had options for doing nothing and living with the issues I had with my wrist for decades, or having either a wrist replacement, or a partial or full fusion. The choice was mine. I chose the partial wrist fusion over a replacement because I valued limited motion and strength for an active lifestyle more than anything else. I was running out of time for having all options open as my wrist was deteriorating more rapidly than before.

I had a huge cyst in my lunate bone and that issue put things up in the air as far as my choice of a 4 point fusion went. If things looked bad upon entering the area during surgery, I had asked the surgeon to just go ahead and do a full fusion. The lunate bone was an eggshell. Thin and useless for grafting, but a last minute option was presented to me by the surgeon: a Proximal Row Carpectomy.

I had a Proximal Row Carpectomy this morning after it was discovered just how bad the lunate was and how the absence of cartilage between a few bones made for limited choices.

Has anyone else been presented with this option?

there is a video of this procedure on the bottom of this page: http://www.eatonhand.com/vid/prc.htm

I think this was the very best option for me.
I asked for a nerve block after and was given that along with Percopcet of some sort. I have so far experienced very little in the way of terrible pain -- so far.
Pain is very manageable and the recovery time is expected to be short compared to the fusion choices.  I understand many docs won't do a PRC for younger patients (under 60), but it was the best choice for me. I expect good ROM (Range Of Motion) and good strength resulting from therapy.

I do not require a constant dose of pain meds. I think a few nerve things were done. Maybe partial wrist denervation. I can't remember everything. I'll get the lowdown during my follow up visit when they take the wire out that is used for alignment. I hope to get images of my crappy lunate that decided the course taken for PRC vs 4 point fusion
How has the wrist been this long after surgery? How long after the surgery did you start with therapy. At what point did the pain subside? How soon after did you return to work?

I am 6 days post op from a PRC. Went off pain meds after 4 days but back on as the pain is back. Worried I over extended myself yesterday. What did they do for pain management during therapy?
I had a PRC 2 years ago, and the pain is HORRIBLE 24/7/365.  I have had an electronic nerve stimulator implanted in my spine and that has helped very little.  My last choice is the total fusion.  I was unaware there was a wrist replacement procedure.  I'd like to know more!
I had the PRC surgery done on Jan. 5, 2009 after breaking my wrist the year before.  I had problems with my lunate bone moving out of place. I had very little pain after the surgery and was back at work within 2 weeks.  I do however have a constant ache in my wrist especially if I do too much with it, which is hard not to considering it's the hand I write with.  I have a couple fingers that give me problems every now and then too.  I def would have liked to been given other options, but this was all I was offered.  I'm now learning about the different surgeries they can do and worry I may have to have another one later on.  I was also only 28 at the time of my PRC surgery.  Has anyone else had issues after PRC surgery??????
I had a wrist fusion almost 3yrs ago.  Still have a lot of nerve pain which is bearable during the day but wakes me often at night.  Anyone have ideas?  What about a denervation?