Orthopedics Community
Wrist Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Wrist Surgery

I fell on ice in 2002 and had a very serious "colles" fracture to the right wrist.  Was told that I needed a pin placed and the surgery would take about an hour.  After 4 hours of surgery, I had 2 plates and 14 screws in my wrist.  The ortho doctor said it was the worst fx he had dealt with - I not only had the horizontal split but also 2 diagonal splits when he got in to work on the wrist.  I also had previously had carpal tunnel surgery 10 yrs prior & wondered if this would flair up again.
I have recently been having more pain, swelling and am told that the top plate is rubbing & cutting into the tendon & that I need this plate removed, otherwise I will lose use of my ring & pinky fingers.
My questions:  Is this normal and how extensive is the surgery to remove the plate?  What is the recovery period?
Thanks for any information.
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

You can go for X-rays and also go for the removal of the plate. These types of complications occur after some years of surgery. It depends on the impaction and present complications for the extent of surgery which might be necessary.

In normal cases it takes a month of time for recovery after the removal of the plate.

Take care!

Just had my plate & 7 screws removed after I had a distal radius fracture (colles) 1 year ago.  Surgery was easy. General anesthesia. 1 week & stitches removed tomorrow.  Still feeling a bit tired. Wondering why. Decided to get the plate & screws removed because didn't want the plate to severe my tendon & the require a more intense surgery w/ no guarantees.