Orthopedics Community
Wrist clicking + pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Wrist clicking + pain

I'm a 20 year old female. I play piano and also do kendo (Japanese fencing). Since I've been in hs, my left wrist would occasionally hurt for a few weeks, and I would rest it (ie not use it at all), and it would stop hurting. However, recently this occurs more often, and my wrist always clicks/pops when I turn it, regardless of whether or not it's hurting (it's loud enough that people two seats or more down can hear it). It's also weak, as in it hurts to pick up stuff.

Do you know what could cause this? And also, is there a more permanent solution than just resting it every time it hurts? As in, is there a way to prevent the hurting? And to stop the clicking?
It could be carpal tunnel syndrome, but I don't know for sure. From the popping/clicking it sounds like it could be a ligament injury. You also could have dislocated your wrist. It may not help but try an ice pack for a bit and see if it helps at all. Obviously it'd be a good idea to see a doctor as well.
It depends on where the pain is coming from. If it were carpal tunnel syndrome you probably will have some tingling of your middle fingers. An easy way to test for it is to bend your wrist at right angle to your forearm and hold it there for 30 seconds. If it is carpal tunnel your fingers will probably start tingling. The pain is usally in the center of your wrist.
If the pain is on the outside of the wrist then it may be a tendon issue. The popping is probably from scar tissue. The sound will probably not go away but that is not a problem. The weakness and pain are what you need to control. Rest it and slowly start. If it hurts reduce the intensity. I played squash competitively and have this latter pain. My wrist pops all the time and if I start playing more I sometime find it hard to lift a grocery bag. Try you best to control it as surgery should be your last option.
Good luck.
hi i am 15 nearly 16 but i have a problem with both my wrists and my elbow i tried jdesouzas method and i could get were they was coming from as my fingers started to tingle exactly as said but its not as much hurts but aches more than anything but with my elbow i thought it could be tennis elbow im thinking about going to my doctor for advice and treatment as it hurts like mad if i play for long enoughor lift heavy objects i apply deep heat and rub it in after and sometimes before i play again do you think i should stop applying the rub as i dont know if it will help in the long run
I am 16 year old female, I too play piano and have trained and competed in judo for roughly 8 years now. I have very small, weak wrists anyway but suffer from exactly the same problem in mainly my left wrist.

From what you are describing the clicking could be a result of a ligament damage. I agree with jdesouza "The weakness and pain are what you need to control. Rest it and slowly start. If it hurts reduce the intensity." I know from experience that going back into sports with an injury like this can result in a much more serious one where surgery is the final and only option.

Sadly im no expert (I've just experienced a lot of trouble with my wrists over the years) so as for a permanent solution im afraid I too am still searching for one. I would advise going to a doctor to identify whether there is ligament damage or not; or perhaps see a physio to help strengthen your wrists.

Good Luck and take care,

L.M-R.A x
Sounds like a TFCC( triangular fibro cartiladge complex) injury or tear... same exact symptoms I have and was confirmed by an arthrogram( painful but very accurate test!) awaiting surgical repair now.. if you wait too long it can lock up on a flap of torn cartiladge and you won't have use of it at all.. like mine :(
Hi, Im 39 with 5 children and have always had the clicking but recently single I moved my entire home alone and now it clicks always, hurts constantly to the point i put on a wrist brace! I am going to call the doctors tomorrow and get in because yes rest does help but who has time to rest! This will make me. I am very scared though.