Orthopedics Community
Wrist locking up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Wrist locking up

About a year ago, I developed tendonitis in my wrist after having a baby.  Shortly after that, my wrist started locking up.  It locks up at an angle bent towards my thumb.  This happens every night and sometimes during the day.  I have to physically "pop" it back into place.  It isn't painful when it locks up just really annoying.  The extreme pain comes every morning when I push it back in place.  I have been to an ortho.  They did X-rays and an MRI.  All they found was the tendonitis.  About 6 months ago, I had to take prednisone for an unrelated injury and that cleared up the tendonitis as well.  I am still left with a wrist that doesn't work properly.  I have tried bracing, anti-inflammatories, and different exercises.  My ortho has given up.  He doesn't know what is causing it.  Any ideas?
Tags: "wrist, locking, wrist
Avatar_dr_m_tn

With no injury to any bone confirmed by an X-ray it sure it is a tendon or ligament problem. You try doing physiotherapy and strengthening your tendon under a physiotherapist for a sustained period of time.

If it does not help follow up with an orthopedician.

Take care!
i have to take pain medicine ffor my back and when i take it my wrist starts hurting i have to pop it back and forth to work it loose it is starting to be a habit. i dont know that to do and now both of my wist is doing it.. i am afraid it is going to get worse does anyone know what is causing it.. thanks
I have the same problem, I previously had tendonitis in my wrist. It was treated with a prednisone shot which was a temporary cure. Now when I move my wrist a certain way it tends to lock up. I was told I probably need physical therapy....Not sure...A few years ago I had it in my thumb, it was cured with prednisone. If you find anything out let me know...