Orthopedics Community
Wrist pain no one can explain and My doc is out of ideas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am hoping and praying someone can give me some much needed advice. About a year ago I started to notice my wrist hurts when I flex it back or if I put pressure on it. (like doing push ups). I'm a pretty active guy and at first thought I had a sprain. After two MRI's three X-rays and blood work. All my ortho surgeon can tell me is that  he is not sure what the pain is from. I have mild tendonitis but after a year in a brace and NSAID it should have gone away.
My symptoms are as follows: It only hurts bending my wrist back or trying to put presure on it. It is not swollen. THe pain is in my wrist and if you were to draw a line back from your first two fingers it would be right in line with it. If I push down in that area I can feel a tendon(?) and next toit the bone. The tendon is only slightly tender to the touch but id I oress on the bone its extremely painful. Its hard to describe but when I bend my wrist back it fels as if someone stuffed my wrist and I'm fighting to compress the material in there. Sometimes it also feels as if one of my wrist bones is rubbing against my arm bone.
  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
well, I have the same type of problem with extreme pain in my one wrist when I put any pressure on it (it used to really hurt doing pushups in high school, I used to get out of doing them it hurt so bad), and that was 10 years ago almost!, but I get these calcium deposits on my wrists, that when you look at my wrists, you can see them, they are these huge obnoxious looking bumps under my skin. Doctor says they are harmless, but they hurt, they go away sometimes, then come back weeks or months later, and then they are there again for months, or even years.

They finally all disappeared a few weeks ago (they break up and dissolve or something) but last week I went I was sitting on the floor indian style, and went to lean over and caught myself with my hand, and I felt this extreme pain in my left wrist where I usually get them. Now it's been hurting really bad for a week, when I bend it all all, I'm not sure what's causing it, whether I hurt a nerve or something, as I'm sure these stupid calcium deposits/cysts are pushing on something.

I'm sure your doctor wouldn't miss something this simple as that like if you had those deposits/cysts, but it's strange you have very similar symptoms as me.
I have had a very similar problem in my left wrist that began abruptly about 2 weeks ago. My pain I would describe more as extreme soreness and only occurs when the wrist has pressure or is bent back. Hopefully someone can offer advice.
Hi timeforbreakfast, how are you doing? I understand the difficulty and pain you are going through? Is the wrist pain still continuing or has decreased? Have you consulted an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation? Commonly an injury, sprain, RSI, carpel tunnel syndrome causes the pain. To know more on the cause and treatment aspect, go through this link: http://orthopedics.about.com/od/handwrist/a/wristpain.htm
Apply a pain gel with gently massage and hot foment 2-3 times a day. Take complete rest and give a support to wrist. Pain tablets can give temporary relief and consult an orthopedician for check up. Take care and update.
i sure hope you respond to this. you have said all the right things. I have the exact symptoms. My very good friend is a physical theropist. without exrays she thinks that i have torn legements. i'm going to be going to her office asap cause this pain has been hanging around going on 2 yrs. I"m so sick of it.it makes me fell like i'm two days older than dirt  and i'm not im still in my twentys. sooooo i will  try to find some way to find ya again and hopfully have some answers for us.likewise i hope you'll do the same for me. good luck and avoid push ups for now :)
Your symtoms (symptoms) sound very similar to mine, I have struggled with chronic wrist pain for years, I was told it was tendonitus and about 2 years later I was told the same thing. finally years later  they find that my chronic pain is due to "Keinbocks wrist disease, which is very rare but painfully manageable, unfortunately by the time they found out what was causing my pain it was in the advance stages, so get another MRI to make sure it is not keinbocks, it's incurrable, degenerative and very painful. Google keinbocks and you can .learn more of this wrist disease and Good Luck
i have the same pain but i do play hockey and go to the gym, but it is 1 month my left wrist is hurting badly and now it is my right that is starting to act up i cant do a push up i dont know what the **** i have it is annoying. when i drive if i turn i have to find which hand hurts less it is a distracting ******* pain. even when i have sex and im on top of the girl it is kinda distracting i have to use one hand and its not that easy i dont know what the **** it is but i wish it would stop.
I could not have written the pain, sysmtoms, and details any better. I have and have had for over 10 years the same thing. I figured it was a slight sprain, then a thought it was a simple pulled tendon. In the end I dont know and I dont have much faith in doctors these days. Please update us to your findings because it sounds exact to my pain, location, and stress.
I had wrist pain like that for almost three years. I finally found an excellent hand surgeon who with just checking its stability diagnosed a torn ligament. I had surgery and have done much better.

Also I read an article in a magazine from the Mayo clinic and it talks about a couple of patients having a split tear in ulnotriqutretral (UT) ligament. One patient went to many orthopedist for five years without answers. Then she heard about Dr. Richard Berger at the Mayo Clinic who diagnosed her with a UT split tear and is now practically pain free. You can go to sharing.mayoclinic.org and search UT lgament to get detailed information. good luck, achilles2
Forgot to add that on the website there is no www
i just started getting the same thing. im only 15 and i play football(lineman) so i think i just sprained it, but i have the exact symptoms as the guy who asked the question. it hurts when i put presure on it or bend it back and if u drew a straight line from the spot in between my index and middle finger,  thats where the pain is. it is swollen in that small spot and really hurts when i touch it.
I have the same problem! i tried to do a push up and ever since then i have been feeling this pain! never felt it before until 2 weeks ago. Im in the process to join the army and now that i cant do a push up i think that I my dreams are over! being a female i dont have to do that many but i only can do 2 then i cant take the pain...
Hello, I am a chiropractor and treat many people with wrist pain, both chronic and acute.  I have had excellent results with adjustments of the wrist in conjunction with therapies that include ultrasound, electrical muscle stimulation and acupuncture.  So, my suggestion is to find a chiropractor in your area and consult them.  Good luck.... Dr. Mac
I have the exact same problem. I can't even do pushups. When I need to lean on my hands I do it with straight wrists. I'm 36 and really sick of it. I went to the doctors and did the tests, but even the specialists for such cases are clueless.

It just came this year, out of the blue. I'm a healthy, active guy and this is just super inconvenient. I want to do gymnastics or yoga like postures and can't do any of them, since my wrists hurt when I put pressure.

I now take pain killers, which really are a relief, but this can't be a long term solution.
I have terrible wrist pain and my ortho says he can do an operation that cuts the tendon sheath to relieve the pressure. maybe some of you can look into that.
The same thing here. The doc can't see a thing, and the 30 min long Mr. scan was no use at all. Now one the doc says, that the last solution is to drill to, 3 mm hols in my wright wrist, and to look around and see what is wong with a camera. But i'm fuc*ing terrified!
Any of you guy's have had any luck?

Hawal from Denmark
I've been having the exact problem from a little over a year now. Im only 15 but i was in volleyball and basketball, i figured a sprain or something but it comes and it goes away and hurts when moving it back or forward or when putting pressure on it or lifting something with it. Sometimes when im trying to soothe it a bit i try to rub it out and my wrist moves and cracks? Im schedulued for a xray but i have very little faith in doctors.
I just wish someone could tel what the **** it is because i enjoy excersizing and i cant even do a push up or lift weight s because of this ! Savage aint even the worddddddd
Yup exactly what's been going on with me for about 2 years. I'm a 22 y/o female and the above mentioned symptoms are occurring in both my wrists,exactly as described. it comes and goes in both wrists and varies in pain as well (depending on if I fell or got hi-fived too hard in which case it's excruciating for days). I'm pretty sure it's not a torn ligament (since it's in both wrists), and given my age I assume I don't have arthritis/gout/carpel tunnel. My bet is on calcium deposits, but I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor next week, I will follow up.
I Have The Same Problem In My Right Wrist  When Doing Pushups, Sometimes When Bench Presing, Or Sitting On Floor And leaning Back On Hands Or Pushing Up Off Floor From  My Hands . I Type a Lot, So Maybe It Is Caused By That?