Orthopedics Community
Wrist pain on pinky side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Wrist pain on pinky side

I have about a 2 month history of pain on the ulnar side of my wrist.  I do not recall any injury, however I do alot of physical work. I have pain when I bend my hand away from the the Thumb or put any pressure or strain on the pinky side of the hand or wrist.  I have a slight bit of swelling, but not much.  Do you have ny idea what the problem or injury may?  What can I expect for treatment?

Thank You
Kim
I don't see any comments or answers to your question Kim but that's exactly my situation. It's been a couple months I've hand pain in my wrist and I guess because I'm very active, it's getting worse. The pain runs from my pinky, just around the base and past my wrist on that side, sometimes to my elbow. It's a shooting pain when I lift objects like a coffee pot. I'm now dropping items from the pain randomly. If you receive any info outside this forum, please post. Thanks
Have either of you seen a doc about possible carpel tunnel syndrome?  
sounds like carpal tunnel or DesQuervain's Syndrome (don't know if I spelled that one right.)
I had really bad CTS and got it completely cured by a treatment called ASTYM, for what it's worth.
I'm experiencing some of the same pain and weakness. I fell a couple times, landing on my hand flat, and have since been diagnosed with a dislocated wrist. The pain is excruciating, but your situation might not be the same, but warrants seeing an Orthopaedic at least. I'm also active, doing home improvement and mechanical stuff on things around the house. If I let it go, the pain will continue and arthritis will develop. In my case, surgery's necessary and,while there's other surgical options, the better and most likely correction will be fusing the wrist....not what I want, but do we always get what we want? Good luck you two....
hello, for a few months now iv been getting pains on the ulner side, some mornings i cannot move my left wrist as the pain is soo strong. iv not fallen or anything like that. i have no idea on what it is, iv been to the hospital but they only told me that i havent done anything serious and to take some pain killers to stop the pain and to reduce the swelling. iv noticed that sometimes i drop things on the floor with my left hand. to stop the pain iv had to put a bandage round it but. when i put it on my wrist either hurts or feels like a cramp. my mum also has calpol tunnel.
please can you healp me thanks sam.
I also have pain in my right wrist on the outside (pinky side).  It seems to be slightly swollen in that area and my pinky and arm just above the wrist hurt all the time. I've moved my computer mouse to my left hand to see if that helps.  Pictures of carpel tunnel syndrome show pain and swelling in thumb and first two fingers next to thumb, opposite of where I have pain, so I don't think that's it.  I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
It sounds like a torn ligament to me. I had one for almost 3 years before I finally got the correct diagnosis and had surgery. I would see a hand specialist (much more qualified than a general orthopedist). Good luck,

achilles2
My wrist is actually better today after moving the computer mouse (trackball) to my other had all of yesterday.  I'm going to keep it on the opposite side to see if it helps.  Otherwise I will seek help from a hand specialist.
I am having the same problems. My wrist shoots a sharp pain from my pinky half way from my elbow when I move it and sometimes it shoots a sharp pain up my arm when I don't even move it. I also have swelling on my pinky and my wrist, and to keep it from throbbing I have to hold my hand up to help it ease. The pain sometimes goes into my fingers beside my pinky and then my whole hands starts to hurt. Any suggestions, please feel free to answer. :)
I would see a hand specialist but this sounds like cubital tunnel syndrome also known as ulnar nerve compression. Especially if there is any numbness or tingling associated with this. Does your pinky and ring finger go numb and cold? I am in the middle of being diagnosed with this and carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel affects the thumb side of the hand. The doctor said he thinks I have both.
Look up TFCC and see if your symptoms match.  If you're not wearing a wrist brace, you should be.  You need to rest that tendon.  Me, I'm not going to try to tough it out.  I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow.