Orthopedics Community
Xiphoid out of place?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Xiphoid out of place?

I'm a 27 year old white male.  I have been tall and skinny my entire life.  6' 145 or so..

I've always had a small dip/concave under my sternum.  On the left side you could feel a bone( i think its a bone) protruding a little which looked to be helping making the concave shape.  It was a little flexibile and if I applied pressure, it could be pushed in a little.

I work out and this week started doing some exercises I normally don't do with my own body weight in my house.  I believe I was doing dips with a couple of chairs when I heard a little cracking in my chest, I didn't think anything of it and in fact I thought it was the floor beneath me.

Today I get in the shower and I noticed the "hole" in my chest is gone and you can no longer feel the little bump protruding out.  

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.  Have I had something out of place for the past 27 years?  I wish I would have done that exercise much earlier.
with a little more research I think I have an idea of what was going on.  Your costal cartilage connects your first 7 ribs to your sternum.  It appears that where my 7th rib connected is where the concave was.  This bump that I assumed was bone was probably the costal cartilage.  It wasn't in the correct place and had be shifted in front of my sternum.  When I was stretching and doing an exercise, I must have put enough tension on the cartilage to pull it back and pop it into the place it is supposed to be.  

Sound like a valid theory?