Aa
A
A
Close
Xiphoid out of place?
I'm a 27 year old white male.  I have been tall and skinny my entire life.  6' 145 or so..

I've always had a small dip/concave under my sternum.  On the left side you could feel a bone( i think its a bone) protruding a little which looked to be helping making the concave shape.  It was a little flexibile and if I applied pressure, it could be pushed in a little.

I work out and this week started doing some exercises I normally don't do with my own body weight in my house.  I believe I was doing dips with a couple of chairs when I heard a little cracking in my chest, I didn't think anything of it and in fact I thought it was the floor beneath me.

Today I get in the shower and I noticed the "hole" in my chest is gone and you can no longer feel the little bump protruding out.  

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.  Have I had something out of place for the past 27 years?  I wish I would have done that exercise much earlier.
Cancel
1 Answers
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
with a little more research I think I have an idea of what was going on.  Your costal cartilage connects your first 7 ribs to your sternum.  It appears that where my 7th rib connected is where the concave was.  This bump that I assumed was bone was probably the costal cartilage.  It wasn't in the correct place and had be shifted in front of my sternum.  When I was stretching and doing an exercise, I must have put enough tension on the cartilage to pull it back and pop it into the place it is supposed to be.  

Sound like a valid theory?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
Top Orthopedics Answerers
15631377 tn?1448398222
Blank