achilles tendon problem
Hi!    Among many issues I have with my ankle/leg since tib/fib fractures in '08 I have a very thick (swollen but hard) achilles tendon. I have fairly good pointing motion but 0 degree dorsiflexion. What could this be ?  Thanx!
Hello!

Each Achilles tendon is subject to a person’s entire body weight with each step. You might have developed stiffness and tendonitis due to previous injuries.

Achilles tendon connects your gastrocnemius muscle and soleus muscle to your heel bone or calcaneus. You need to check out for any injuries by going for an examination near an orthopedician.

Try taking intermittent NSAIDs, applying ice packs. Wear a heel pad to raise the heel and take some of the strain off the Achilles tendon and make sure you are using proper supportive foot wear. For a rehab programme the best person to guide you is a sports medicine expert.

Take care!

I am a physical therapist. If you cannot dorsiflex your ankle, the problem may be because of joint stiffness, not just achilles tightness.  If stretching alone of the achilles does not help improve your range of motion, consider seeing a physical therapist to determine if a lack of joint mobility is the cause.  

Hello!

Once diagnosed (orthopedician) of your problem I agree, physiotherapist will be helpful. Stretching exercises and range of motion exercises should be learnt from an expert (physiotherapist) so you do not damage anything further.

Take care!
Thanx so much for the comments. I have been going to physio off and on through my journey.(probably 12 months out of 17) and I practically live on my wobble board @ home.My ROM is by no means 100% but pretty good until I flex.I have to go down stairs one at a time as I just don't have that dorsiflexion. Really have been hoping that it has something to do w/all the hardware but the more I research I;m afraid that is not the issue. Again,I thank you for y'alls time and would welcome any other suggestions.  Have a great day!