Orthopedics Community
after knee injury why would I get a "lump" or swelling on out...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

after knee injury why would I get a "lump" or swelling on outer side of knee?

I had a knee injury in August, followed with physical therapy and lots of special treatment, now there is a slight swelling or lump on the outer side of the knee. The problem was patella chondromalacia and it is not hurting nearly as much now-only  in certain situations like on my feet too much or too much walking and/or not taking enough ibuprofen.  Usually when it does hurt it is on the inside lower part of the knee area, so why would I have something on the outside upper part  of my knee?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to take anti inflammatory medications and also ice packs to decrease the inflammation.

There might be swelling after physiotherapy while recovering from injury. This might be inflammation of the knee and I would suggest you to rest.

IF the swelling does not decrease then go for an examination and get yourself diagnosed by an MRI.

Take care!