Orthopedics Community
age for knee replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

age for knee replacement

I am 43 years old. I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus in 2003. Last year on Thanksgiving Day I stepped off my porch and hurt my knee again. After having a mri my dr said he couldnt see anything but the pain kept getting worse and decided to scope my knee. He discovered that I had no cartlige and it was completely eaten up with arthritis among other things. I was told I needed a knee replacement but didnt want to do it at my age. I was wondering if there was anyone who has had one at an early age because I would like my quality of life now due to the fact that I have 3 kids who need me now more than at age 60. Can someone give me feedback on this subject?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Any successful total knee replacement(TKR) surgery will give you a fair range of movement and active lifestyle for a period of 15-20 years and you can get another replacement done if required in the future.
There are instances where the successful replacement lasted for more than 20 years.

Discuss with an expert orthopedician and take a second opinion and if you have severe arthritis then this is the way to improve your quality of life. Also check if your cartilage is worn out completely or you can delay the replacement by some form of steroid injections, viscosupplementation etc for some more years.

Take care!
My orthopedic doctor said I have no cartlilage at all. Not even on top. I have tried cortisone injections as well as symvisc, nothing has helped. I also heard the longer you wait on a replacement, the less successful it is. Have you known that to be true?
Hello. I am not a doctor, but i was just wondering..is the pain mostly when you are going down the stairs?
your situation sounds really painful- please let me know how it goes. i am in a similar predicament- i am 45 and i feel like i am way too young for all of this arthritis stuff!. i help my 74 year old father work on his three apartment buildings; this is what i have worked for for many tears, and now that the time has come for me to start helping more as my dad is less able, my body seems to be dis agreeing with the whole thing.
There may be other options and further tests- and i guess that you have to weigh the positive and the negatives of each outcome.
Good luck!
I, too, would like some information on this topic.  I am 46 years old and have already had a total shoulder replacement because of severe arthritis that did not respond at all to other types of therapy such as ice/heat, medication, cortisone injections, PT, water therapy, etc.

I have the severe arthritis in all my joints (even small joints such as fingers and toes), as well as in my spine (mostly lower, but some in cervical area).  Because of this, as well some other health problems (lupus, fibromyalgia, asthma), I am in constant, severe pain.  Recently the pain in my knees has gotten even worse and I have had X-rays taken and gone to my orthopedic surgeon.  The X-Rays showed marked degeneration of the joints since my last x-rays (less than a year ago) and the surgeon has told me that I am comletely 100% bone on bone and will need to have knee replacement surgery/s.  Obviously, I'd like to postpone this as long as possible and am trying the non-surgical route again, like I did with my shoulder.  So far, nothing has helped, but I do go back to the surgeon to try a Euflexxa injection (I can't do Synvisc due to feather allergy and I understand Euflexxa is non-avian).  Hopefully it will help so I can get at least another six months before having to have surgery.

Are there any other non-surgical options I should/could consider before going under the knife again?  Lifestyle modification is already part of the treatment plan, as well as already mentioned treatments/medications.
I am 53, and had my first TKR @ 41, next one at 42, and have just had my second revision.  I know, sounds like a lot of surgery, but believe me those ten years were well worth it.  If you are miserable and your quality of life is suffering, do not let the Dr. tell you you're too young.  The results can be very good, even if your new knee may not last the rest of your lifr.  It's a rough surgery and recovery, but well worth it.
Thank you for the information on the knee replacement.  I had a shoulder replacement a little over a year ago and I believe I'm in for a revision/second surgery on it very soon.  Recently I've been having intense, severe pain and loss of mobility in the shoulder that, in some respects, is worse than before the surgery.  There are many, many times that I am unable to move that shoulder (right - and of course, I'm right handed) at all by itself and must grasp my right wrist with my left hand in order to be able to move my arm.  That is because of a combination of pain and actually being unable to move it - it almost feels like a paralysis, although I still have feeling in the arm/shoulder (pain!!!!) but am unable to move it - I don't know if it's popping out of joint or what's happening, but it's very frustrating and painful.

My surgeon that did my shoulder is very difficult to get in to see, so it may be a wait to get an appointment (I left a message this morning so am waiting to hear back)

I agree with you that surgery can very well give you back at least a bit of quality of life when you've been dealing with painful joint issues.