Orthopedics Community
ankle burning and pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ankle burning and pain

2 months ago i stepped off a curb and turned my ankle. the pain was awful and could not put preasure on it to drive the car home. swelling to size of a golf ball. I applied ice for the first 24 hours and off and on the next few days.  I'm  able to walk on it but the burning and pain at times it really bad. it wants to give out and turn over to the outside of my foot. by the end of the day the swelling is bad. I cannot lay it or touch it with my other foot its very tender to touch. what could I've done to it. torn ligaments?
Hello.

There is a possible ligament injury, probably a tear. You need an x-ray to rule out any fracture.

Please consult an orthopedic surgeon in your area soon and get it treated. The ligament injuries take long to heal and they need special attention. Your ankle needed immobilization immediately after the injury, which did not happen.

Regards
I broke my fibula in June of 2012 playing baseball. My ankle was badly displaced to the inside of my foot and the following day I had surgery and hardware added to repair the injury. In December of 2012 I had arthroscopic surgery to remove scar tissue in the joint which was impairing my motion and since having this done I still have pain in the outter and joint of my ankle and a burning feeling along the top of my foot around my toe joints. I thought that after having the scar tissue removed I would feel better but to the contrary. If anyone can give me some advice of why or what my next option may be it would be appreciated.

Thank You
You could have a nerve entrapped that your doctor has not even considered this sounds like entrapped of the superficial peroneal nerve (also perhaps the major perifrial (sp?) nerve.) You might be able to tell if you get an ultrasound to looks for these impingement, but you must get a good ultrasound tech that specializes in orthopedic ultrasound.

I hope this helps,
achilles2

PS If your doctor recommends a EMG try to avoid it as it could increase your pain and if the nerve is not "dead" it will not catch any impingement. I know I have three in my lifetime.
Thank you, achilles2. I go back to see my orthopedic again next week and will ask him about this.