Orthopedics Community
ankle ligaments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ankle ligaments

I'm hoping someone might be able to help out with this a bit...

I damaged my ankle playing soccer 2 weeks ago. I managed to get myself home, ice it and raise it up but the next morning I was in a fairly serious amount of pain and could barely put weight on it. I ended up down in A&E to get it checked out. I got it x rayed and nothing broken thankfully. The person checking me out reckons I damaged one or both sets of ligaments running down the outside of my foot/ankle. I should rest for a few days and then start to do physio exercises she gave me to build it back up.

I was fine with all the above, but it really felt at the time as if I had done more damage*(I heard a snap when I went over on it originally) I am now 2 weeks on, I am still using a crutch for anything more than moving around the house, and it is still nicely bruised and a bit swollen..Some of the exercises I was given are still too painful to do, and if anything I think it has been getting worse over the last few days.I guess I am just checking if this is normal or have I done something worse than the doc spotted?
Yes,  its amazing what pain and dysfunction happens with severe ankle sprains.
I would wear compression socks for swelling and to help with pain.
Also, get a sturdy  ankle support (that has velcro straps) that pulls in multiple directions to create stability.  Severe ligament damage may improve and there is a procedure called Prolotherapy that might be just the ticket to heal the ligaments back to more normal tightness.  

you can google the ankle sprain supports
Do your homework from the PT regularly and good luck
oops
I meant to say
severe ligament damage can cause laxity that can't improve.  
for this, prolotherapy can be curative and restore the ligaments to more their original levels of tension.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Soft tissue injuries like ligament tears can be diagnosed by an orthopedician or you can go for MRI scans for a proper diagnosis.

I would suggest you to wear ankle brace till the healing is complete for 4 weeks and then start physiotherapy.

Follow up with an orthopedician in a regular manner till healing is complete.

Take care!
thank you both for the advice, I have been keeping it strapped up and will continue to do so. I'll look into the other options in the coming weeks
I figured I may as well update this. I originally damaged my ankle the first week of September, we are now in March so a full 6 months...and it's still fubarred.

I went to a physio about an unrelated back issue but brought this up a few times with him. He gave me a few exercises and told me to keep it strapped up. My main problem is that apart from still being sore, it swells up if I do anything...i've tried to do a bit of swimming but even that aggravates it.

I went to my local GP as well about the back issue but brought it up with him while I was in there. He tested it and said the range of motion was fine and that the ligaments were ok as well so i don't really get what's going on with it. Realistically what can a physio do if it is still swelling up? all they will tell me to do is certain exercises that will make it swell?

I'll take any suggestions at this stage, it's driving me nuts!