Orthopedics Community
ankle pain after acl reconstruction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ankle pain after acl reconstruction

I had my second acl reconstruction a little over a month and a half ago.  My inner leg has stayed numb since the surgery, my outer leg flucuates depending on the amount of swelling in my knee.  My ankle bone has been painfully sensitive to anything rubbing against it for weeks; however this past week at times, that area also hurts when i try to walk or just doing nothing.  Is this a normal part of the healing process?  Is there anything I can do to make this area less sensitive?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

During ACL problems or during any of the ligament problems at the knee joint you sure have stiffness at the ankle joint due to restriction of movements. Ice packs at the ankle joint will also decrease the pain and inflammation.

I would suggest you to take intermittent pain killers and also do some exercises at the ankle joint.
Exercises at your ankle joint: Dorsiflexion and Plantar flexion: push your ankle down and up keeping your leg straight and repeat this to decrease the pain and symptoms. Also do sidewise movements at the ankle joint. Perform these exercises while resting.
If you continue having ankle problems you should ask your orthopedician for an examination.

Take care!
Your symptoms sound very familiar to mine. I had some hamstring taken from my right leg to be used for ACL re-construction in my left knee 3 weeks ago. My left knee is doing really well, but I am experiencing quite a lot of pain / discomfort in my right inner-ankle bone. The pain is difficult to describe - it isn't a dull ache, but feels more like a burning sensation, or a bit like having pins stuck into it when I walk - especially after having been sat down for any length of time. Does this sound similar to your symtoms (symptoms). If this is reasonably normal for a while, then I can live with it - just hope it eases over time. I have been walking on it quite a lot (thinking the exercise might help).Is this wise?
Angus