ankle pain and swelling after fracture
I fractured my tibia, fibula & talius from a fall on hard wood floor in kitchen.  I went to the er and they put me in a soft cast until I could go to the ortho surgen.  The ortho surgen put me in a cast for 4 weeks, then a walking cast for another 4 weeks being on crutches the whole time.  Then he put me in a air cast for another 4 weeks.  It has now been 5 months since I broke it and I am still having pain and swelling at the back of my ankle that hasn't improved.  I had an MRI done which didn't show any tears in any tendions, but showed alot of inflamation so it was hard to read.  The MRI also showed that I had a fracture in my talius that didn't show up on any of the x-rays.  The doctor then ordered me to have a CT scan to check to make sure the bone had healed.  The results showed it was 90% healed.  The next option was to get a cortosine injection then he said if it helps then it means it could be the cartlidge, otherwise it will just take time to heal.  I had the shot and the pain was 70% better then got alot worst after a few hours, but then was better in the next few weeks.  I don't have another follow up with the ortho surgeon for another month and was wondering what to do next.  Could it be the cartlidge and what do they do for that.  I just want relief from the pain and not sure what to do.  
Hello!

You can take intermittent pain killers and can also call your orthopedician to give you a repeat shot of cortisone if it helped the 1st time.

Fractures involving tibia and fibula are very cumbersome to heal and it takes a while. If there is involvement of cartilage, tendons, and ligaments during injuries then this takes a while in complete recovery.

Follow up with your orthopedician as after your complete healing you would need physiotherapy.

Take care!