Orthopedics Community
ankle pain and swelling after fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ankle pain and swelling after fracture

I fractured my tibia, fibula & talius from a fall on hard wood floor in kitchen.  I went to the er and they put me in a soft cast until I could go to the ortho surgen.  The ortho surgen put me in a cast for 4 weeks, then a walking cast for another 4 weeks being on crutches the whole time.  Then he put me in a air cast for another 4 weeks.  It has now been 5 months since I broke it and I am still having pain and swelling at the back of my ankle that hasn't improved.  I had an MRI done which didn't show any tears in any tendions, but showed alot of inflamation (inflammation) so it was hard to read.  The MRI also showed that I had a fracture in my talius that didn't show up on any of the x-rays.  The doctor then ordered me to have a CT scan to check to make sure the bone had healed.  The results showed it was 90% healed.  The next option was to get a cortosine injection then he said if it helps then it means it could be the cartlidge, otherwise it will just take time to heal.  I had the shot and the pain was 70% better then got alot worst after a few hours, but then was better in the next few weeks.  I don't have another follow up with the ortho surgeon for another month and was wondering what to do next.  Could it be the cartlidge and what do they do for that.  I just want relief from the pain and not sure what to do.  
Tags: ankles
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You can take intermittent pain killers and can also call your orthopedician to give you a repeat shot of cortisone if it helped the 1st time.

Fractures involving tibia and fibula are very cumbersome to heal and it takes a while. If there is involvement of cartilage, tendons, and ligaments during injuries then this takes a while in complete recovery.

Follow up with your orthopedician as after your complete healing you would need physiotherapy.

Take care!