Orthopedics Community
ankle sprain 6 weeks ago

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ankle sprain 6 weeks ago

hello there
its been almost 6 weeks i had twisted my ankle by walking fast on an uneven surface and it was swollen that very moment . i came back home walking and applied ice on it and asked my dr to check . he told its a legament pull and gave some pain killers to take and cream to massage . now i have stopped the painkilllers since 3 weeks and i m feeling no such pain in my ankle only little swelling is there near my ankle . i am not feeling pain while walking or standing but still i cannot walk normally and in the same ace like before . i am still limping a little but not like before . will this limping remain forever ? i am very nervous and worried ? i m wearing ankle support band while walking ?
how long will my sprain take to come to normal ? i m scared if its hairline fracture ? please help
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to go for an X-ray immediately to rule out any fracture.

You should also wear a crepe bandage or an ankle brace as a support or continue wearing ankle support band and avoid weight bearing and physical exertion till properly diagnosed.

If it is a soft tissue injury you would need rest, followed by physiotherapy and some support and you should follow up with an orthopedician.

You can take NSAIDs to decrease the pain and also apply ice packs to reduce the swelling and inflammation.

Take care!
hi !
thanx for your suggestion !
as i m a school teacher here in west africa i will be going to india on my vacations and will have a physio therapy as here in africa we dont get efficient dr so i hav to continue wearing my ankle support band along with sports shoes ! i m not havin any pain while standing or walking but still i hav little swelling ! can i apply ice now after 6 weeks ? i m doing small exercise which i read in the internet and m finding it little relaxing also ?
but i will go for an x-ray ! my dr told me that there is no need for x -ray as she observed my ankle and saw that i was able to make rotations so she told me to give little rest and elevate it ! but without any prescription will i be able to go for a x-ray?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

X-ray is to confirm that you do not have any bone damage.

Ice packs have to be applied (and not ice) and after you complete your work (school and your daily routine); it helps in decreasing the inflammation and for any minor pain.

If required you should wear some additional support as it is difficult to comment without seeing your ankle support band. The support is to avoid additional ankle movements and pressure on your ankle so that your soft tissue damage heals perfectly.

Take care!
thanx alot dr vinod for your suggestions !
my ankle support band is just like a tight socks(open from front and heel part is opened ) made of thick elastic cloth material !
as soon as i come back from school , i soak my foot in hot water first and then cold water and i keep on doing it alternately like this for 10 to 12 mins. is this the way i should do it ??
i will apply ice pack when i finish doing this !
i also massage my ankle with volini cream and iodex alternately and cover it with bandage immediately ! i dont feel any such pain while doing the massage.
will be goin for an xray on monday .
thanx again and please be there if i need any more help !

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to do the following:

1) Ankle support band.
2) Wear proper shoes (supportive) while walking and limit movements in school.
3) Ice packs and alternate it with applying diclofenac gels.
4) Rest and occasional NSAIDs

You need X-rays to rule out any bony involvement.

This would be sufficient.

Take care!
thanx for yur help
i m really very relaxed after reading it
yeah will go for a x ray on monday and will let u know the report
sorry for bothering u so much but yur advise is very helpful
will be getting down in india so can i take the long journey as i hav to change 2 flights n the hault in dubai airport is also long (atleast  6 hrs)
have thought of doing wheel chair !!??
pls do suggest how to take this long journey
thanx  
hello dr vinod
i took out an xray of my ankle and the result is that there is an old minor crack on my lower part of the fibula bone . rest all the bone is fine and there is no displacement of any bones and no bones are broken also . so wat do u suggest me? shall i go for a physio therapy now as i dont have any pain and my swelling is also getting little better .
thanx
waiting for your reply.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

As you have this arduous journey and you had been moving around after the fracture I would suggest you to go for a cast or a boot for immobilization of your foot and use the wheel chair services wherever possible.

Once in India follow up with an orthopedician.

Take care!