Orthopedics Community
ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ankle

5 weeks ago i landed wrong on my ankle
i tried walking on it, but 3 days later i was crawling cuz it hurt so bad
2 days after that i got into a doctor and he said it was just a sprain
but if so this would have been my 3rd sprain to this ankle in a year
he said i would be walking in two days.
its been about 4 weeks since i went to that doctor,
there is still swelling, brusing and  worse pain
an di still can't put pressure on it.
it also gets discolored at times
and its either extremely cold
or extremely hot.

i can't get into a  orthopedic for another few weeks
what should i expect to hear from him?
      How are you? Recurrent ankle sprain can occur due to  over use, hereditary hyper mobility of joints and  impingement by the distal fascicle of the anteroinferior tibiofibular (AITF) ligament, impingement of the capsular scar tissue in the talofibular joint, or impingement by both.
Sprains are injuries to the ligaments of the ankle, causing them to partially or completely tear as a result of sudden stretching. Ankle sprains more commonly happen when there is a preexisting muscle weakness in the ankle area or a history of previous ankle injuries.

Acute ankle sprains are initially treated with ice, rest, and limiting the amount of walking and weight-bearing on the injured ankle. The leg can be elevated to reduce swelling, and crutches are often recommended to avoid further trauma to the injured ligaments. Anti-inflammatory medications can be given to reduce local inflammation.

In your case inspite of initial treatment there is swelling , pain, and sometimes disruption of blood supply to the joint. It is necessary to see an orthopaedician immediately. In case of complete disruption of the ligament or fracture treatment is directed against that cause.
Consult a orthopaedician for further assistance.
Best.
thanks. now i also seem to have a fever.
does this have anything to do with it?
and i got into an orthopeadician in 2 days
     How are you? Fever is the sign of infection or inflammation. It could be due to general infection to the body or due to infection in the joint.
In case , it is due to the joint infection, then your doctor might suggest for the removal of fluid accumulated in the joint and send the sample for analysis and culture. Depending on the results antibiotics can be used.
Feel free to write to me for further queries or suggestions.
Best.
well we called my orthopedic and he had me come right in and he x rayed it like crazy and then sent me off for an MRI, and they were supposed to do 5 tests but they ended up doing 7, and we are't exactly sure why, they didn't say.  all he told us, was why he wanted a MRI is because he is pretty sure i tore the tenden that helps you walk, jump, run and do things like that.