Orthopedics Community
antalgic limping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

antalgic limping

Just looking for some reassurance, or not.  I am in the process of pursuing a complaint against a doctor who knew little about me, yet accused me of fabricating some of my problems to aquire controlled drugs.  I do not have a problem refuting this allegation, as my medical history is strong and the doctor can clearly be proved wrong.  My condition is worsening and recently I saw a neurologist.  I know I sometimes limp because of severe hip and leg pain but on this ocassion I was not in pain and thought I was walking normally.  The neurologist took all my symptoms very seriously and ordered scans of my back and brain.  In his letter to my doctor (a different one), he made a comment about my gait.  He said it was normal but I walked in an antalgic way.  I was not aware I was doing this.  My question is this, can such a gait be fabricated?  I need as much evidence as possible to secure my case regarding the allegations made against me and need to know if I can use this as proof?  Of course anybody can fake a limp, but surely a neurologist would have recognized a psychosomatic or malingering or hysterical limp, or would they?  I have some doctors who are continuing to take me seriously, but the vicious actions of this doctor who made this claim against me have destroyed my relationship with all the local doctors and hospitals in my area.  I need as much evidence as possible to get their comments off my notes.  The limping issue took me somewhat by surprise, firstly in that I did not know I was doing it all the time, which to be honest upsets me a lot, and also because I have lost trust in myself and wonder if I am somehow inventing this.  Anybody with expertise on antalgic limping would be very helpful to me.  Apart from anything else this has made me very self concious when walking outside, as I think people are looking at how I walk.  Stupid I know, people just don't do that generally.  Never thought I would end up like this, or like whatever the future holds.  Strange thing is part of me wants to be making this all up, so I can just stop it and go back to normal.  Am I?