Orthopedics Community
arthroscopic surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

arthroscopic surgery

My doctor wants me to have surgery to remove loose pieces of cartilage in my knee.  I am a 55 year old female and am asking the following:

Were you awake during the surgery?
How long was your recovery before you were able to work?
How long before knee totally recovered?
Do you know if the presence of arthritis is a detriment when having this done?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks for writing in.Arthroscopic surgery is a common orthopedic procedure that is used to diagnose and treat problems in joints. Arthroscopy allows an orthopaedic surgeon to diagnose and treat knee disorders by providing a clear view of the inside of the knee with small incisions, using a pencil-sized instrument called an arthroscope. The scope allows transmission of an image of your knee through a small camera to a television monitor.
The most common arthroscopic procedures include repairing cartilage and meniscus problems in the knee, and removing inflammation and repairing rotator cuff tears in the shoulder.
Arthroscopy can be performed under local, regional, or general anesthesia. Local anesthesia numbs your knee, regional anesthesia numbs you below your waist, and general anesthesia puts you to sleep. The anesthesiologist will help you determine which would be the best for you.
It is reasonable to expect that by six to eight weeks you should be able to engage in most of your former physical activities as long as they do not involve significant weight bearing impact. Twisting maneuvers may have to be avoided for a longer time.
If your job involves heavy work, such as a construction laborer, you may require more time to return to your job than if you have a sedentary job.
All the best.