Orthopedics Community
babies thumb wont bend

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

babies thumb wont bend

hi, I have a 5 month old baby boy and we've just noticed that his right thumb cant bend at the nuckle,there's a definate difference in movement in comparison to the left. I cant seem to find any answers as to what it could be,
what caused it or what could be done on the internet. We haven't been to see a doctor yet, Do you have any advise
or imformation that wuold help. thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to just monitor it for a week to see if it is an acute pain due to some physical injury or a mild infection.

If it is present since birth and you noticed it since couple of months then follow up with a pediatrician initially to rule out arthritis.

Take care!