Orthopedics Community
back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

back pain

I've had back pain on and off for years, just started up again last September and has not gone.
I  have only now asked for help as it didn't go away. I have had x-rays and a cat-scan last week
and go to the  specialist next week. I am hurting so bad and want to get back to my life. Here is my report what do you think?

L 2-3 mild annular bulge is seen

L3-4  Boad based disc bulge is seen with minimal indentation of the theca. miner facet joint oa is noted

L4-5  Broad based disc bulge is seen with indentantion of the theca which is milldly flattened anteriorly.
Advanced facet joint oa with ligamentum flavum thickening is also noted.  the central canal is narrowed in view of this.

L5-S1  Degenerative changes are seen in the disc space with lateral and posterior osteophyte  formation. A large central disc protrusion and central disc herniation are seen. the lateral bulges are seen to extend to the neural canalas but the neural foramina does not appear to be significantly narrowed. The disc herniation is seen to impinge on the theca and possibly at the origin of the s1 nerve roots too. The central canal is not significantly narrowed.
Hi, it seems you are having multiple disc bulges compressing the nerves and giving rise to symptoms. “Often people who experience a herniated disc already have spinal stenosis, a problem that causes narrowing of the space around the spinal cord and spinal nerves. When a herniated disc occurs, the space for the nerves is further diminished, and irritation of the nerve results”. Taken from
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/herniateddisk/a/ruptureddisk.htm

Treatment involves physiotherapy, pain killers, hot compression and surgery like microdiscetomy. Visit this website for surgical details http://www.spine-health.com/Treatment/Back-Surgery/Surgery-Overview/Lumbar-Surgery/Microdiscectomy-Microdecompression-Spine-Surgery.html