Orthopedics Community
bipartite patella

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

bipartite patella

I'm a 25 year old female who's been having knee pain for just over a year.  The pain is at the superiolateral border of my patella.  It first began by being tender to the touch and then it started hurting while running (with every step), stair climbing and squatting.  I finally went to an orthopedic for it, and the only problem found was a bipartite patella (through x-rays).  He couldn't figure anything else was the cause.  I'm still able to run on it, and have been, but it is very annoying at about a 5-6/10 pain rating.  I've apparently always had a bipartite patella and ran track and cross-country in high school and college and never had knee pain then.  I'm now running probably half as much as then.  I'm confused why it's bothering me now and never did in the past.  I've since had an MRI and again nothing else was found.  The doctor is not ready to perform the surgery (and I'm not either).  He basically told me it's something I just need to work through.  He gave me a knee brace to try and said next step would be hyaluronic acid injections.  Do you know anything about those injections for a bipartite patella.  I've read they're used for OA.  I was just wondering if you knew of any other options.  I don't want to make things worse, but I'm not ready to give up running either (but would do that over surgery if needed).  I'd appreciate any other opinions.  I'm ready to get rid of this pain.
Thanks,
K