Orthopedics Community
bone growth after total knee replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have developed additional bone behind my knee after TKR. How abnornal is this and what is the procedure to correct this problem? I also have developed a lot of scar tissue.
  • Scare tissue (3 replies):
    can you still have scare tissue after 18 months from kne...[more]
     How are you? Development of additional bone would interfere with normal coordination with in a joint during movement. Due to this in the longterm there could be damage to the articular cartilage causing deformity of the joint and loosening of the implant.
Scar tissue would not interfere with the movement in the joint or the bones. It could account only to a cosmetic defect. It is of concern only if it increases in size after surgery.
I would suggest that you get an MRI of the knee to confirm the presence of outgrowth of a bone. A revision surgery can be taken up to remove the additional bone.
Consult a orthopaedician for further assistance.
Best.