Orthopedics Community
bone growth stimulator/ tibia fracture options

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ok so its been about 160 days since my injury.  I had a compound fracture of my tibia and fibula.  The doctor I'm going to is all about getting things done as quickly as possible and WILL NOT discuss options on anything.  He is only interested in surgery and nothing else.  Upon my own research, which is how Ive found out everything about my treatments and condition, I came across stimulators so I would like to know if this is an option for me.  

I still have a IM nail and 3 screws in my tibia and he says the fibula is 100% healed and that this and the nail combined is preventing the tibia from compressing when I walk (full weight bearing no cane or anything) and that is why it is only about 50% healed.  His fix in 3 months is to go in and cut the fibula and remove the screws to let the tibia compress and heal.  Is this legit or can I try the stimulator rather than surgery?   I don't want surgery again mostly because my insurance will reset at the 1st of the year and I have a large deductible which will cause me to pay for the surgery out of pocket. I also don't want to have my fibula cut and all that since it seems like a step backwards.
Hi there!

Well, it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation. If the healing has been partial bone stimulators may be an option worth considering, while it may or may not meet with success. If the healing fails to improve, surgical options may be considered. I would suggest discussing the situation and the management plan in detail with your orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!