Orthopedics Community
broken bones won't heal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

broken bones won't heal

I have a family member that has had severe bone problems for several years now.  He broke his hand years ago and found out the bone never healed and died so he had the bone removed and replaced with metal rods only about a year ago.  He broke his ankle in late 2006 and just found out that the bone didn't heal again.  He had a bone scan and found out that both ankles are broken.  The orthopedist said that he had extra fluid in his bone that shouldn't be there and said he had osteochondrosis.  They are doing a biopsy in a few weeks but I wanted to find out as much as I can about his condition.  He is 27 yrs old and has a young family.  We are all really worried about him.  Can anyone suggest where to find out more information while we are waiting for a diagnosis?  Thank you for any help.
lisello
I recentley went to the doctor because i was hurting in my lower back and my hips and legs. They done an x-ray results came back said I had a broken tailbone and been broke for a while.Why hasn't my tailbone healed?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Even if a fracture does exist in the coccyx, it should heal all by itself. Surgical reduction is rarely used to treat coccyx fractures. Coccyx has no use as such functionally.

Coccyx injuries can take months to heal and up to a year to really feel normal again.

Coccyx repair surgery is indicated for complex fractures involving surrounding tissue damage or compound fractures where the bone might break through the skin.

Take care!
I smashed my toe over 6 months ago and still have bone chips, but the larger problem is the crack in the big toe. Over all this time there has been no improvement. Why won't it heal?
i have had compression plates and screws put in both hips in november 2010 as i had 2 bilatreal stress fractures/breaks in both necks of my hips on the inside and now july 2011 my breaks havent healed and cat scan shows no bone healing at all where my breaks are despite having fixtures in place and the specialists are baffled?? has anyone else had this problem or know what i can take to try help?? i am over being in pain!!