broken fibula in more pain then when casted..normal?
Hi there,

my mom, 44, broke her right fibula right above her ankle this past sunday. we went to the er and they put her in a cast and told us to come back the next day to see the orthopedic surgeon. He told us that there was a 50/50 chance that she would require surgery but he re-set it and put her in a no-pressure plaster cast and had us make an appointment with him next week for follow-up x-rays. No surgery has been scheduled until he sees the results of the next set of x-rays

Since the plaster cast was put on my mom has experienced more pain and more swelling on the top of her foot just to the left of her ankle as well, everytime she lowers her leg she says that it feels like her ankle (near her achilles) is popping and that her pain is equivelent to the pain she had when she originally broke her ankle. She also complains that her casted ankle feels like its on fire.

I was just wondering if this is normal, and if the pain and swelling commonly gets worse before it gets better?
She has a really high tolerance for pain, but with this injury she screams and cries out in pain pretty much every time she has to shift the position of her cast. I just want to make sure that this is somewhat normal, or if i should tell her to expect surgery.

Thank you for your help!
Hello!

I would suggest you to go for a fresh X-rays and to see if the bone is displaced or not. An expert orthopedician is required and whatever intervention you go for, let it be the orthopedician's choice.

If the cast is not done properly then the inflammation or swelling due to the fracture is compressed and it is painful and if required the orthopedician will recast or suggest for surgery whatever is best for her.

Take care!