Orthopedics Community
broken left humerus/swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

broken left humerus/swelling

I broke my left humerus 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am still in alot of pain at the break, but I am also very concerned about the swelling of my hand and forearm.  It is tight, painful, and discolored. My dr. is not concerned, but this seems excessive. Any thoughts? I am in a plastic shell/brace and a sling, having been trying to ice, and elevation is impossible due to I cannot lift my arm or recline to prop it up.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The pain will be present for 4 weeks and it will subside slowly. Rest your hand and continue keeping in the brace for the specified period of 4-6 weeks. Check if it is not too tight.

Take NSAIDs intermittently for the pain and also pump your fingers for sometime to decrease the swelling and inflammation.

Go for scans at 4 weeks and you will know about the healing.

Take care!