Orthopedics Community
broken left humerus/swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

broken left humerus/swelling

I broke my left humerus 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am still in alot of pain at the break, but I am also very concerned about the swelling of my hand and forearm.  It is tight, painful, and discolored. My dr. is not concerned, but this seems excessive. Any thoughts? I am in a plastic shell/brace and a sling, having been trying to ice, and elevation is impossible due to I cannot lift my arm or recline to prop it up.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The pain will be present for 4 weeks and it will subside slowly. Rest your hand and continue keeping in the brace for the specified period of 4-6 weeks. Check if it is not too tight.

Take NSAIDs intermittently for the pain and also pump your fingers for sometime to decrease the swelling and inflammation.

Go for scans at 4 weeks and you will know about the healing.

Take care!
How did this resolve?  I am also at 2.5 weeks post-fracture (rt closed proximal humerus) with the same symptoms/concerns.  The humerus seems to be healing fine with swelling and bruising disappearing HOWEVER my hand and forearm continue to swell and worsen every day.  Day 17 my ring and pinkie fingers started to turn purple.  Today, Day 18 they are black and blue.  My hand and forearm are warm, so I do not think I have a circulation issue.  The hand and forearm are swolllen, tender, and ache like a nerve-type pain.  The hydrocodone does little to take off the edge.   If I press my finger into the forearm flesh and remove it, it leaves a nice dimple that relaxes to its original shape over a few minutes.  Perhaps this is just fluid from the injury to my upper arm that has settled to my forearm, but I would like to sure it is not some other syndrome. (I have Popeye's forearms.)