Orthopedics Community
broken leg in Alzheimer's patient

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

broken leg in Alzheimer's patient

My 73 year old mother has been suffering with Alzheimer’s for 5-6 years. Five weeks ago she fell and broke her hip. They did a hip replacement. She was doing well in rehab, walking with assistance, etc. Until the nursing home left her unattended and she fell out of the wheelchair. This was two weeks ago. She broke her femur just below the repaired hip around the rod from the hip replacement.

The doctors decided not to operate on the leg. They deemed her mental state not to be strong enough. Nothing has been done to the leg. No cast. Nothing. She is lying a nursing home seemingly in pain. And I wonder if this is a normal practice? Will the leg actually heal this way? And how long will it take? How difficult is the recovery from surgery to repair a femur? I wonder that the constant pain and drugs of such a slow recovery aren’t worse on her brain than the more intense but shorter lived pain of surgery?