Orthopedics Community
broken thumb?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

broken thumb?

yesterday I was playing basketball and i went to go and catch the ball and it hit my thumb and i instantly felt pain. I have had surgery on this thumb before. so anyways it hurt really bad and it was swollen and i couldnt move it and it is my joint. it hurts to write and stuff like that. So i was saying to myself it was just jammed and i will give it some time so i went to ben and all night it had a heart beat and it felt like my thumb was going to explode. It is still swollen and stuff like that but i dont know if it is broken or not. And should i see a doctor and what kind of treatment would they do if broken.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to take NSAIDs for pain relief and for decrease of inflammation. Apply ice packs and if the symptoms persist after couple of days then go for an X-ray thumb.

Follow up with an orthopedician.

Take care!