broken tibia
im 40yrs old and broke my tibia mid shaft there wasnt displacement but cause im an active person i chose to get a internal fixation rod with two screws one below the knee and the other above the ankle. i was told by the doctor i would be on my feet quicker than if i was to get the full leg cast. is this true and besides the infection side am i likely to get any long term problems with my leg, i plan to do exercises to strenghten it once bone has healed im not overweight and quite an active person normally and healthy. also is it a good idea to get the screws removed once it has healed. also i have a moon boot on should i keep it on more than less, it feels more sturdy on.
Hi there!

A full leg cast may be required for initial few weeks for a tibial fracture though this would not affect the healing tome. There is no reason to develop long term issue if the bone heals well. It would be best to discuss with the treating orthopedician if the screws would need to be removed. Typically a period of non-weight bearing would be advised for initial few weeks, after which weight bearing may be started gradually. The choice of the boot would not make a difference.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!