Orthopedics Community
bruised fibula...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

bruised fibula...

so i posted a wbout a week ago about possibly having a fractured fibula...
i saw a second doctor about it and he figured i had bruised my fibula bone so, i cancelled the x-ray that i had booked.  although i am walking around fine, i am getting more swelling around my ankle now, and i have a hard bump over by lower fibula where i hit it....is this a result of the bruised bone?  it is still very tender to touch!  i've heard bruised bones can take a while to heal.
Hi Jen,
How are you feeling?
Have you got an X-ray done?
I think you should be doing an x-ray to see for bone pathology. The symptoms too are annoying which calls for further active intervention.
I recommend you to see a physiotherapist for passive range of exercise which will help you in further increasing the range of motion around your ankle joint and also will help in improving the swelling.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Bone bruising sucks! How  did they come to that conclusion an ct or MRI scan? It doesn't show up on x-rays. I had an MRI done and that's when they found mine both in my foot Cuboid and Talus It was severe enough that the OS I saw treated it as a stress fracture The one bone on the scan was completely white when compaired to the color of the non injured bones. I was placed in a short leg cast. The swelling was sever at times. I really din't have a lot of relife untill 10 weeks later. It still bothers me from time to time especially the ankle which is the Talus bone. happy healing and I would get a second look at that from a DR.
i havent been to another dr since the last one told me it was a bone bruise...he came to that conclusion just from looking at it.  he said he didnt think it was a fracture because when he pushed on the fibula further up with one hand, and pushed the opposite direction under my foot it didnt hurt.
i am not having any pain walking on it now, but that bump is still there, and it still hurts a lot when i touch it!
Hi Jen,
I think you can only ask for an X-ray study for any possibility of fracture. Alternatively you can take help of physiotherapist to learn few passive range of motion of exercise which you can do at home.
This would help you in decreasing the swelling and also in better healing.
Secondly you need to be on pain killers of 2-3 different class. All analgesics should be spaced out over period of 24 hours so that at any moment no two analgesics should go at the same time.
You can keep applying ice to the part.
I think when next time we interact the swelling should come have come down and also that pain should be better.
Bye.
i have a huge bump on the side of my right calf from falling into the car while avoiding a driver using a cell phone. it's 2 1/2 weeks now and still hurts. my foot turned black and blue and swollen. the swelling is going down now in the foot, but the huge lump is still there on the side of my calf and it hurts when i walk and when i sleep. i had xrays and the fibula isn't broken. the doctor told me it was a bone bruise also.
any idea how long this takes to heal? this is horrible