Orthopedics Community
bruising from acl/mcl tear?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

bruising from acl/mcl tear?

on thurs the 23rd i incurred an injury to my left knee. fri am i went to the md and was given an x ray and scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon monday am. the md said he believed the mcl was torn at a minimum. mon i went to the ortho and she said it looked very bad and she thought the mcl and acl and possibly even the pcl were all torn but she could not get a good read on it due to swelling. they ordered an mri for this coming tues and they will do the read and follow up within a week of that. any how, in the last 2-3 days there has been major bruising going down the middle of my shin (all the way to my ankle), behind my knee, and all around the inside ankle. the bruising is a very dark purple and is blotchy in some area's while others are just solid bruises

is this normal? somebody i work with told me that the same thing happened to them and it was blood from the injury going down the leg. i had acl and mcl damage in the past and nothing like this has ever happened. it kind of seems realistic as the bruising around the knee is subsiding and the ones farther down the leg appear worse than the last few days. thanks for any thoughts.