Orthopedics Community
burning pain at incision site

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

burning pain at incision site

I had surgery on 1/22/10 to repair a broken fibula and ligaments in my foot.  The OS put in a plate and 5 screws plus a nail over to my tibula to hold it all together.  He also had to tie all my ligaments because they had collapsed.  He made incisions on my leg and ankle.  I have extreme burning pain at the incision site that runs up my leg.  The pain medication doesn't seem to be helping this pain at all.  Will this subside after a few days?  My next appointment is Thursday. I am not able to sleep well because of the pain.  The OS says that I will be in a boot next.  Can you give me some idea of healing time for this type of injury. I know it will take time to be 100% I am just looking for actual ability to walk on it again.  Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The surgical pain is intense for the 1st week and will decrease by 4 weeks. You can also use diclofenac skin patches along with the NSAIDs, the skin patch will release minute quantities of the medication continuously which might help. If after 10-12 weeks the healing is fine you can start some kind of mobility and weight bearing. With age the healing is slower and it might also take 16 weeks.

Take care!