burning pain at incision site
I had surgery on 1/22/10 to repair a broken fibula and ligaments in my foot.  The OS put in a plate and 5 screws plus a nail over to my tibula to hold it all together.  He also had to tie all my ligaments because they had collapsed.  He made incisions on my leg and ankle.  I have extreme burning pain at the incision site that runs up my leg.  The pain medication doesn't seem to be helping this pain at all.  Will this subside after a few days?  My next appointment is Thursday. I am not able to sleep well because of the pain.  The OS says that I will be in a boot next.  Can you give me some idea of healing time for this type of injury. I know it will take time to be 100% I am just looking for actual ability to walk on it again.  Thanks
Hello!

The surgical pain is intense for the 1st week and will decrease by 4 weeks. You can also use diclofenac skin patches along with the NSAIDs, the skin patch will release minute quantities of the medication continuously which might help. If after 10-12 weeks the healing is fine you can start some kind of mobility and weight bearing. With age the healing is slower and it might also take 16 weeks.

Take care!