Orthopedics Community
bursitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

bursitis

can shoulder bursitis be cured? Had 3rd rotator cuff surgery and report says I have massive irratative bursitis.
what exactly is that? Is it like arthritis?
Tags: Arthritis
   Thanks for writing in. Impingenment syndrome is term used for shoulder bursitis and rotator cuff tendonitis. Impingement syndrome occurs when there is inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons and the bursa that surrounds these tendons.
Once there is an initial injury, the tendons and bursa become inflamed. This inflammation causes a thickening of these structures. The thickening then takes up more space, and therefore the tendons and bursa become are pinched upon even more. This causes more inflammation, and more thickening of the tendons and bursa, and so on. Arthritis is the inflammation of the joint space and bursa is the inflammation of the lining covering the tendons.
Treatment can be done by rest, antiinflammatories, strenghthening exercises, cortisone injections etc.If this fails surgical treatment called a subacromial decompression is done.Patients are placed in a shoulder sling following surgery for impingement syndrome, but they can begin shoulder motion quickly.
Consult your doctor for further assistance.
Best.
thank you for the explanation. I think I now understand. It surely is a vicious cycle.
I saw a Physiothist? the other day and I am going to start a different type of PT.