Orthopedics Community
c1 fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

c1 fracture

Hello, i wonder if someone could help me or put my mind at rest please.
Im a 30 year old man and I had an accident while on holiday and broke my neck in 2 places.I fractured c5, and c4 was unstable so i now have those two fused together and all is well with them.
The main problem i have is that i also fractured c1 and was fitted in a halo traction vest which i have now been wearing for 3 months.I went to the hospital yesterday to have my halo taken off but have been told by the doctors that the fracture is not showing on the ct scan as uniting and so i have to go back in a few days time to have my halo taken off (as its loose and cant be tightened any more) and will have a series of tests, where the doctors will move my neck and see on the images if c1 is moving or not.
If c1 moves i will have surgery ( which i really dont want)  and if it doesn't i will be fitted with a hard collar.
My main question is, How likely is it that the fracture is healed but not showing on the ct scan.
Please could someone help as my family and i have been through so much and finally thought the end was in sight but now it seems it could be miles away .
Many thanks joe
Hello Dear,
The CT scan images the present pathological state.If the fracture is healed it will show the union of C1.It is very unlikely that it will miss any of the features.For more finer details a MRI can be done to confirm the union.
Best
Thank for very much for your response.  I have been advised that the bones have nt united however, they feel that maybe there is a chance that some tissue may have conected and has yet to turn to solid bone.  Therefore I understand that this may not show on the scan.  Is this correct?  many thanks
If the healing process is continuing it is possible theat the all the features might not be visible in the scan.You should go for a repeat scan after 2-3 weeks to see the union.
Best
I am so glad that you are talking about this.  I need help understanding what's going on with my neck.  I have a C1 fracture (based on CT) have had for about 6 wks.  I am in a neck brace now.  Sometimes I have lots of pain and others not so much.  I have pain down my right arm and into my legs.  What is going on.  When I talk to the doctors they mk it seem like no big deal. Wear the brace them rehab and everything will be fine.  This pain is scary. I want to get back to work.  What do you think?