child with thumb sprain/break
My 7 yr old did a back handspring in the yard and landed badly on her right hand, bending her thumb back at an angle.  It swelled and bruised immediately at the base of her thumb and on the pad of her thumb by the inside wrist. Also, pain and swelling on the outside down low between thumb and pointer finger.  It hurts to use it but she can pinch her finger and thumb together in a circle.  We iced it last night and saw an orthopedic doctor today.  The swelling has come down a bit. She xray-d it and said that she either broke it through the growth plate at the base of the thumb or sprained it.  So she put a thumb splint on it and said she can do anything she feels up to doing...gymnastics, soccer etc.  The gymnastics concerns me the most with all of the weight bearing activities and knowing my daughter.  My question is...Is this protocol for this injury and does it need to be treated differently if it is an actual growth plate fracture?  Does her diagnosis explain the pain on the top of her hand between the thumb and pointer?  She did not have us come back for a follow up visit.  Thanks.
Hello!

At her age the healing would be very good. For any fracture to heal she would need immobilization and that is achieved by the thumb splint. After 4 weeks there would be complete healing.
Tell your daughter not to put undue pressure till the pain and inflammation subsides in the area of fracture. Follow up with the orthopedician if you have any further issues.

Take care!
Hello! Im 13 years old and a few years back i did a fly away off of the bars, & landed with my thumb back. I had all the same things happen, But i was NOT able to move my thumb or hand at all. My hand was shattered in three spots! Gymnastics is very dangerous. That same year i also broke my foot, The thought i had a broken growth plate. Truth is doctors don't know what the growth plates are suppose to look like.. Go take her to an orthapedic surgeon! They're fabulous. If they don't see a break, & her hand continues to hurt, get an M.R.I. scheduled because sometimes breaks dont show on X-rays! Hope this helps.