chronic wrist pain
I'm a 26 year old female with chronic bilateral wrist pain.  I have had significant pain in my left wrist for 5 years and in my right for 4-4.5.  While the left was worse for most of that time, the pain levels are now essentially equal, depending upon use.  (I am right-handed)
The pain is centered on the back of my wrists, in the center between the bones.  There is no stiffness, swelling, or heat radiating from the joints.  Pain occurs primarily when the hand is bent back at an angle to the arm and when twisting.
I have sought treatment, though it has been spotty at best due to shifting student health care.  X-rays appear normal and bloodwork to check for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus (among others) was negative.  The single rheumatologist I saw did not even offer theories on what it might be.  An MRI is indicated but I have not had it yet.
My mother was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the base of her thumbs around the age of 40.
Any information you could provide, or suggestions regarding what type of specialist to see and what type of diagnostic tests to request would be appreciated.
have you had any kind of nerve conduction testing done to rule out carpal tunnel?  might want to start there
it's most likely a ganglionic cyst.  an orthopedist should be able to aspirate it in the office easily with only moderate chance of recurrance